Tuesday, May 15, 2018

For my son Seth on his birthday May 9th 2018


An oak tree sprouted 19 years ago. It was at the first house my wife and I bought together. It wasn’t big, but it was a great little house. It will always hold a special spot in our hearts because of the memories we made there. It was where we learned how to live together as husband and wife, where my children were born, and where my family started it’s adventure together.
In the yard was a huge old oak tree. It was several feet around the base of the trunk, and you could tell that it had seen a thing or two as it weathered the seasons and the years. One night during a bad spring storm, lightning hit the tree. I did my best to patch up the tree and try to help it recuperate from the storm damage. The tree survived and lived many more years providing shade and a place for birds to nest.
The year after the storm, I was mowing the yard and I noticed an oak tree seedling had sprouted up from an acorn which had fallen from the the older oak tree nearby. The seedling seemed to be healthy and in a good spot to grow, so I left it and mowed around it. It grew quickly, and it was not long until it was well established and putting out roots. I could tell just by looking at it that it was going to be tall and strong, just like the older oak tree. Eventually, we moved out of that house and into another house. Time went by, the seasons rolled along, and my children grew up.
Recently, I was driving by our old first house and I stopped by to look at it. I sat in my car in the street in front of the house and let the memories flow over me. All the “firsts”: anniversaries, birthdays, steps, words spoken, and so many more. The house was different of course, but also the same in many ways. But, the big, old oak tree was gone. I guess time and damage to the tree over the years had finally taken its toll. It was truly sad to see the empty spot where the once majestic tree had stood for so many years.
But... there nearby, in what would have been the shadow of the old tree if it were still standing, was the seedling. However, it was not a seedling any longer! The younger oak stood tall and proud, reaching up to the sky with all its might. It was heading into its prime of life, and you could tell just by looking at it that it had the older oak’s same strength and purpose.
While I was sad to see the older oak tree was now gone, I was hopeful because of the younger oak’s presence. It would carry on where the older oak left off; providing shade for the family that now lived there, a home for birds, acorns for the animals to eat, oxygen and fresh air, and a beautiful yard for the children that now lived in the house to enjoy. It too would drop it’s acorns all around and perhaps, one or two would also take root and grow, continuing the cycle of life as God intended.
My son Seth was born 19 years ago today. Just like the young oak tree, he too is heading into the prime of his life. Reaching towards the sky with all his might to achieve all his goals. I am proud to see him fulfilling his purpose according to God’s good will.
Happy Birthday my son. May you continue to grow in God, planting deep roots in Him, and continue to be a blessing to all those within the comfort of your shade.
Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take, or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither — whatever they do prospers. (Psalms 1-3) So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. (Colossians 2:6-7) You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. (2 Timothy 2:1) I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge — that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:16-19)
Much love, Dad.