Sunday, April 14, 2024

Iran in Bible Prophecy






With the recent attacks on Israel by Iran, many are curious about how Iran fits into end times Bible prophecy…what does God have in store for Iran, what role will they play, and what should we as Bible-believing Christians be watching for? In Old Testament times, Iran was known as “Persia”. Persia is probably familiar to most Bible readers as one of the kingdoms under which the Israelites were held in captivity until being allowed to return to rebuild Jerusalem by Cyrus the Great, King of Persia. Also, the story of Esther takes place in Persia, within the capital city of Susa, in which the Medo-Persian King reigned.

Persia makes another appearance in the passage in Ezekiel 38, known as the prophecy of the Gog and Magog War.

"Son of man, face Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal. Prophesy against him and say, 'This is what the Lord GOD says: Look, I am against you, Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal. I will turn you around, put hooks in your jaws, and bring you out with all your army, including horses and riders, who are all splendidly dressed, a huge assembly armed with large and small shields, all of them brandishing swords. Persia, Cush, and Put are with them, all of them with shields and helmets; Gomer with all its troops; and Beth-togarmah from the remotest parts of the north along with all its troops -- many peoples are with you.”  Ezekiel 38:2-6

Persia evidently will be part of the coalition that joins with Gog in attacking Israel in the end times. I understand this war to occur at some point most-likely after the rapture of the church, and prior to the start of the tribulation period, in that period of time between the two events. So, Persia (Iran) will continue to exist and be a military might up until the time of the Gog/Magog War prophesied in Ezekiel 38. However, we are then told what happens to Gog and all the other kingdoms which ally with him as part of the coalition against Israel:

"Now on that day, the day when Gog comes against the land of Israel -- this is the declaration of the Lord GOD -- ‘my wrath will flare up. I swear in my zeal and fiery wrath: On that day there will be a great earthquake in the land of Israel. The fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, the animals of the field, every creature that crawls on the ground, and every human being on the face of the earth will tremble before me. The mountains will be demolished, the cliffs will collapse, and every wall will fall to the ground. I will call for a sword against him on all my mountains -- this is the declaration of the Lord GOD -- and every man's sword will be against his brother. I will execute judgment on him with plague and bloodshed. I will pour out torrential rain, hailstones, fire, and burning sulfur on him, as well as his troops and the many peoples who are with him. I will display my greatness and holiness, and I will reveal myself in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the LORD.'” Ezekiel 38:18-23

After the Ezekiel 38 Gog/Magog War, Persia (Iran) appears to no longer be a military threat to Israel. This is accomplished by God performing a very observable intercession on behalf of His people Israel…They will know that He is the Lord God.


There is one other prophecy from the Old Testament that needs to be considered also, one from Jeremiah. Jeremiah is pronouncing prophetic judgments against several countries and includes this one about Elam. Elam is an ancient middle eastern kingdom that is included in the far western portion of the modern country of Iran.

This is the word of the LORD that came to the prophet Jeremiah about Elam at the beginning of the reign of King Zedekiah of Judah. This is what the LORD of Armies says: I am about to shatter Elam's bow, the source of their might. I will bring the four winds against Elam from the four corners of the heavens, and I will scatter them to all these winds. There will not be a nation to which Elam's banished ones will not go. I will devastate Elam before their enemies, before those who intend to take their lives. I will bring disaster on them, my burning anger. This is the LORD's declaration. I will send the sword after them until I finish them off. I will set my throne in Elam, and I will destroy the king and officials from there. This is the LORD's declaration. Yet, in the last days, I will restore the fortunes of Elam. This is the LORD's declaration.”  Jeremiah 49:34-39

There are many different interpretations of this passage, and how it relates to Elam (Iran) either in part or total, and the timing of the prophecy. It is an interesting study though, and I believe it does hold a prophetic warning against Iran, or at least a specific region of Iran, in these last days. You can read more about this prophecy at Bill Salus’ website Prophecy Depot:   http://www.prophecydepotministries.net/2019/does-the-bible-predict-iranians-will-soon-flee-to-america/


It will be interesting to watch how Israel responds over the next few hours and days, and to see what consequences Iran faces for attacking Israel as it has. I know one thing…God has a plan for Israel, and He has made it clear that He will protect them. The Biblical promise that whoever blesses Israel will be blessed, and whoever curses them will be cursed is still in effect.

The LORD said to Abram: Go from your land, your relatives, and your father's house to the land that I will show you. I will make you into a great nation, I will bless you, I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, I will curse anyone who treats you with contempt, and all the peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”  Genesis 12:1-3