Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The 5 Books of God




Hello, my name is Brian, and I have a confession to make… I am a Bibliophile, a lover of books.  There, I said it…I love books.  My office is filled with books. My Amazon cart is filled with books.   I like old books and new books equally.  I see houses with walls of empty bookshelves and wonder what is wrong with those people.  I see an empty bookshelf as a challenge, much like others see a 5k race I suppose.  My wife thinks my obsession with books is a problem, but I own several books that discuss her theory and disprove it.

But, did you know that the Bible mentions God also has books?  Did you also know that your name is written in two of those books?  The Bible mentions five books or scrolls that God owns:

The Prophet Ezekiel’s Unnamed Book of Prophecy From God – The prophet Ezekiel was given a scroll by God, with writing on the front and back, and told to eat it.  When he ate it, it was as sweet as honey in his mouth.  The scroll contained those things he was to speak to the house of Israel.

“Now you, son of man, listen to what I am speaking to you; do not be rebellious like that rebellious house. Open your mouth and eat what I am giving you.” Then I looked, and behold, a hand was extended to me; and lo, a scroll was in it. 10 When He spread it out before me, it was written on the front and back, and written on it were lamentations, mourning and woe. Then He said to me, “Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel.” So I opened my mouth, and He fed me this scroll. He said to me, “Son of man, feed your stomach and fill your body with this scroll which I am giving you.” Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth.  Ezekiel 2:8-9, 3:1-3


The Apostle John’s Unnamed Book of Prophecy From God – The Apostle John was given a little book from God, and told to eat it.  When he ate it, it was as sweet as honey in his mouth but made his stomach bitter.  The book contained those things he was to speak concerning many peoples and nations.

10 I saw another strong angel coming down out of heaven, clothed with a cloud; and the rainbow was upon his head, and his face was like the sun, and his feet like pillars of fire; and he had in his hand a little book which was open... Then the voice which I heard from heaven, I heard again speaking with me, and saying, “Go, take the book which is open in the hand of the angel who stands on the sea and on the land.” So I went to the angel, telling him to give me the little book. And he said to me, “Take it and eat it; it will make your stomach bitter, but in your mouth it will be sweet as honey.” 10 I took the little book out of the angel’s hand and ate it, and in my mouth it was sweet as honey; and when I had eaten it, my stomach was made bitter. 11 And they *said to me, “You must prophesy again concerning many peoples and nations and tongues and kings.”   Rev. 10:1-2, 8-11


The Title Deed to Creation (the Scroll with Seven Seals) – This scroll has writing on the front and back, and was sealed up with seven seals. It can only be opened and redeemed by the appropriate Kinsman Redeemer (see Leviticus 25:23-25 and the book of Ruth).  It is when each of the seven seals of this scroll are opened that the 4 horseman of the Apocalypse, the 7 bowls of wrath are poured out, and the 7 trumpets sound during the Tribulation period.  After all the seals have been opened, and the judgments completed, the kingdom of the world becomes the Kingdom of God (Revelation 11:15).

I saw in the right hand of Him who sat on the throne a book written inside and on the back, sealed up with seven seals. And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, “Who is worthy to open the book and to break its seals?” And no one in heaven or on the earth or under the earth was able to open the book or to look into it. Then I began to weep greatly because no one was found worthy to open the book or to look into it; and one of the elders said to me, “Stop weeping; behold, the Lion that is from the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has overcome so as to open the book and its seven seals.”  And I saw between the throne (with the four living creatures) and the elders a Lamb standing, as if slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God, sent out into all the earth. And He came and took the book out of the right hand of Him who sat on the throne. When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation.  Rev. 5:1-9 


The Book of Days, Words, and Deeds  - God keeps a book which records every person’s number of allotted days, words, and deeds.  It is from this book that every person is judged according to what they have said and what they have done.  For the saved, it will be an accounting of their unclaimed rewards, the work they have accomplished for God’s kingdom.  For the unsaved, it will be a record of their condemnation and a death sentence.


You have taken account of my wanderings; Put my tears in Your bottle.  Are they not in Your book?  Psalms 56:8


For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. 14 I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; 16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them.  Psalms 139:13-16


9 “I kept looking until thrones were set up, And the Ancient of Days took His seat; His vesture was like white snow And the hair of His head like pure wool. His throne was ablaze with flames, Its wheels were a burning fire. 10 A river of fire was flowing And coming out from before Him; Thousands upon thousands were attending Him, And myriads upon myriads were standing before Him; The court sat, And the books were opened."   Daniel 7:9-10

36 But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”  Mt. 12:36-37

11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them.12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds.   Rev. 20:11-13


The Lamb’s Book of Life  (The Book of Remembrance) – This book, written by God and continuously marked in by Him, contains the names of everyone ever born, from the foundation of the world.  However, the majority of names have sadly been blotted out by God due to their unbelief in Jesus Christ, His Son.  At judgement, Jesus Himself will confess the names written in the book before God and His angels.

Then Moses returned to the Lord, and said, “Alas, this people has committed a great sin, and they have made a god of gold for themselves. 32 But now, if You will, forgive their sin—and if not, please blot me out from Your book which You have written!” 33 The Lord said to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book.  Exodus 32:32-33


28 May they be blotted out of the book of life And may they not be recorded with the righteous.  Psalms 69:28


9 “I kept looking until thrones were set up, And the Ancient of Days took His seat; His vesture was like white snow And the hair of His head like pure wool. His throne was ablaze with flames, Its wheels were a burning fire. 10 A river of fire was flowing And coming out from before Him; Thousands upon thousands were attending Him, And myriads upon myriads were standing before Him; The court sat, And the books were opened."   Daniel 7:9-10

12 “Now at that time Michael, the great prince who stands guard over the sons of your people, will arise. And there will be a time of distress such as never occurred since there was a nation until that time; and at that time your people, everyone who is found written in the book, will be rescued. Daniel 12:1
16 Then those who feared the Lord spoke to one another, and the Lord gave attention and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the Lord and who esteem His name.17 “They will be Mine,” says the Lord of hosts, “on the day that I prepare My own possession, and I will spare them as a man spares his own son who serves him.” 18 So you will again distinguish between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve Him.  Malachi 3:16-18
20 Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven.”  Luke 10:20
Indeed, true companion, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in the cause of the gospel, together with Clement also and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.  Phillipians 4:3
 He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels. Rev. 3:5

 All who dwell on the earth will worship him, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who has been slain. Rev. 13:8


“The beast that you saw was, and is not, and is about to come up out of the abyss and go to destruction. And those who dwell on the earth, whose name has not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, will wonder when they see the beast, that he was and is not and will come. Rev. 17:8


11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them.12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.  Rev. 20:11-15


27 and nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.  Rev. 21:27



Will your name be found written in the Lamb’s Book of Life?  Will Jesus confess your name before God?